- Breakfast–Fried eggs with potatoes from last night, sautéed in clarified butter, homemade apple sauce.
- Lunch–Luncheon with friends–grilled salmon over a bed of greens and veggies, with oil and vinegar for dressing.
- Snack–Roasted plantain chips and cashews. I still tend to overdo it with the cashews. I try to eat only a handful. If only I had giant hands!
- Dinner–Organic chicken franks, mushrooms, and sugar snap peas sautéed in clarified butter; chopped raw veggies with homemade mayonnaise; homemade apple sauce topped with coconut cream.
- Reached my goal of 10,000 steps on Fitbit.
I’ve had never used coconut milk before, except in smoothies; but, in Whole30, it is an ingredient in the homemade ranch dressing, which is delicious. When you open the canned coconut milk, the cream rises to the top, somewhat like years ago when the milkman brought our cows’ milk in glass bottles. You could shake the bottle and get really rich milk, or skim the cream off the top and use it in your coffee. (Purchased at Harris Teeter, Whole Foods).
Last night, I added a dollop of the coconut cream to my homemade applesauce and it made a delicious dessert. Now remember, I’ve been off of sugar and all sweeteners–both natural and artificial–for 13 days, and so just about anything tastes sweet to me now.
Whole30 Ranch Dressing
1 cup Basic Mayonnaise (see recipe below)
1/4 cup coconut cream
2 T red wine vinegar
1 T minced fresh parsley
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/4 tsp paprika
Add all ingredients and stir well.
My mother used to make homemade mayonnaise and it was even better than Duke’s–especially with pimento cheese sandwiches. This is the same recipe, except I think she used vegetable oil instead of olive oil.
1 1/4 cups light olive oil
1 large egg
1/2 tsp mustard powder
1/2 tsp salt
Juice of 1/2 lemon
Place 1/4 cup olive oil, egg, mustard powder, and salt in a food processor, blender, or mixing bowl. Mix thoroughly. Keep the food processor/blender running and slowly drizzle the remaining half cup of oil and continue mixing until the mixture has emulsified. Add the lemon juice and blend or stir until incorporated into the mixture.